Friday 16 February 2018

Habemus novum episcopum

Habemus novum episcopum “We have a new Bishop”. 

On Monday we learnt that our Holy Father Pope Francis has chosen a priest of the Diocese to become our new Bishop. Canon Paul Swarbrick, will be ordained Bishop here at St Peter’s shortly after Easter this year. Canon Paul will become the seventh Bishop of Lancaster. Canon Paul was born in Garstang in 1958 and attended Lancaster Royal Grammar School and received his seminary formation at Ushaw College Durham. 
Ordained priest in 1982 he has served throughout the geography of the Diocese, and for fifteen years he volunteered as a mission priest in the Diocese of Monze (Zambia). He is currently Parish Priest of The Good Shepherd parish in WorkingtonHarrington in Cumbria.

Upon the announcement of his being raised as Bishop Elect Canon Swarbrick said: 
“ I must confess to being in a state of surprise and shock at my appointment, and to a feeling of great inadequacy when faced with what lies ahead. Since my ordination to the Priesthood at Garstang in July 1982 this was never something I expected or feel prepared for. I have given my acceptance in a spirit of profound humility, deeply conscious of my unworthiness and sinfulness. It is a call to follow Jesus with greater trust and more generous love, ever mindful of what He has done for me and, ultimately, the fullness of Life He calls me to share. I beg your daily prayers, your patience and your collaboration". 

More news of preparation for the ordination which will take place on Monday 9th April.