Sunday 17 June 2012

First Holy Communion - 2012

Today 14 young people in our parish made their First Holy Communion.  As Fr Stewart said in his homily, the seed of faith like the mustard seed mentioned in the parable of today's Gospel reading, had been nurtured in lots of ways since their Baptism.  When Fr Stewart said 'The Body of Christ', they replied 'Amen' to signal that they agreed. The words of the final hymn (see below) at communion reminded many of their First Communion Day, and how receiving Jesus brings us great joy as well as a need to praise and say thank you.  Its been a busy weekend, during the week ahead we'll be including some other memories of the day and the weekend.
Fr Stewart Keeley and children who made their First Holy Communion

Hymn at a Child's First Holy Communion: 
Welcome, welcome, welcome Jesus
In my soul forever stay
Joy and love my heart are filling
This my First Communion Day.
I adore You, I adore You
Hidden now within my breast
Glory, honour, praise forever
To my Lord who is my guest.
Bless me now my loving Jesus
All I think or do or say
All my life may I remember
This my First Communion Day!

Celebration Mass - new date
Please note, we've cancelled the original Mass planned for 22nd June due to road closures linked to the Olympic Torch.  The Celebration Mass for young people who have made their first Holy Communion and received the sacrament of Confirmation has been moved to Wednesday 27th June at 6.30pm at St Thomas More.  Shared party afterwards - all welcome.