Thursday 18 November 2021

#RedWednesday Day 4

Day 4

Today we pray for the people of Nigeria. The Catholic Church in the north of Nigeria is under siege. The militant extremist group Boko Haram is committed to using force to drive Christians from northern Nigeria and turn the region into a hard line Islamist state. These campaigns by the extremists can target a variety of people, but Christians have been frequently been singled out. Towns and villages have been destroyed. People have been forced to flee their homes. Women and girls have been kidnapped and forced to marry and bear children for the extremists who have taken them. Despite this, many stand strong in their faith. 

Father Joseph Fidelis Bature describes the situation of Christians
around Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State. 

"Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. Yes, all who are incensed against you shall be ashamed and disgraced; those who strive against you shall be as nothing and shall perish. You shall seek those who contend with you, but you shall not find them; those who war against you shall be as nothing at all. For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Do not fear, I will help you.” [Isaiah 41:10-13, NRSVCE]
 REFLECT: We pray that one day the people of northern Nigeria who have been displaced will be able to return to their home towns and villages and rebuild their lives there. We do not understand why so much hatred and violence exists in our world, but we know that you keep your promises and that you will bring some greater good out of all evil.