Monday 15 April 2024

A Message from Fr Steve

 A Message from Fr Steve. 

When Bishop Paul Swarbrick our current Diocesan Bishop was consecrated here at St Peter’s in 2018, I had been here as Cathedral Dean for about four years. Very soon after that happy event he and I were chatting and he posed the question to me: “How long would you like to stay at the Cathedral?”. I was ,and am, very happy at the Cathedral parish, so my reply was “I think I can give you ten years in all...so another six”? He seemed happy with the reply, and in May 2024 my 10 years completes. 

Fr Steve in 2014
Fr Steve on his arrival in 2014 - click see his welcome message

This is a circuitous way of telling you that I am to leave the parish on May 19th, after 10 very happy but often challenging years as Cathedral Dean (parish priest). Ten years on, and 10 years older this responsibility now needs to pass to another priest and to someone younger than I am. I am to swap responsibilities with Fr John Millar, who is currently parish priest at Holy Family Freckleton (with St Anne’s Westby). I am to be parish priest for them, and Fr John is to be the new Cathedral Dean here at St Peter’s. The timing of my departure means that I can see through the Confirmation programme, and more importantly I can oversee the Deanery Mass of Confirmation on May 19th (at 2pm). To have asked Fr John to take this responsibility on would have been a step too far for someone new to the Cathedral. 

On May 20th I depart the Cathedral for a brief holiday before taking up my new responsibility on June 1/2. I have loved my time at the Cathedral parish. I have been blessed to be a part of your lives in their peaks and troughs and in their “everydayness”. We have done so much together which has been of benefit to the local community (including life with our wonderful primary school) to the Diocese (because our mother church is looking so cared for) and to our two Eucharistic communities (the Cathedral and St Thomas More) as well as our ecumenical connections across this fine city. Truly so much for which I am deeply grateful . 

Long may the Cathedral parish prosper in God’s grace. With prayers, gratitude, and much love. Fr Steve.