Monday 23 September 2024

Welcome to Fr Philip Wrigley:

Fr Philip meeting one of the 6.30 readers
It is lovely to have my second appointment here in this Parish. I am slowly settling into the busyness of Cathedral life. Over the last two years I was appointed as Assistant Priest to Christ the King & St Kentigern’s Parish, Blackpool. This was my first appointment after being ordained here in this Cathedral two years ago.

It was a busy parish with two churches, two primary schools, and a hospital. I was also appointed by Bishop Paul to be the Priest Chaplain for St Mary’s Secondary School in Blackpool.


Weekly life at the parish was busy with visits to the schools, hospital, and my Holy Communion rounds to the sick and housebound, as well as evening catechesis sessions.

All ministries are very rewarding, however, I found hospital ministry extremely special. Being there at the last moments of someone’s life and administering the Church’s Sacraments in order to prepare their souls for eternal life with the Father, was very moving. A duty only a Priest can do, that is why vocations to the priesthood are so important.

Here at Lancaster, Bishop Paul has appointed me to continue with my hospital ministry, as I become the new RC Chaplain to Lancaster Infirmary. It is so important that the priest knows that you are in hospital, in order for you to receive regular visits and the Sacraments. Just let the hospital staff know and they will follow the procedure to contact the on-call priest.

Another responsibility I have on my shoulders is the ‘Data Protection Officer’ for the Diocese. I am currently involved in rolling out a new ’Microsoft Office 365’ email system throughout the Diocese, in accordance with the latest Data Protection & Safeguarding legislations. As you can imagine this will be challenging and will take some time. However, there is a good team behind me, to make this project a success.

I am looking forward to my time here at the Cathedral Parish of St Peter and St Thomas More, and I pray that it will be fruitful. Please keep me in your prayers, as I will keep you in mine.

God bless, Fr Philip.

Fr Philip on his day of ordination
16th July 2022
Lancaster Cathedral