Wednesday 19 December 2012

WWW - Joy of singing

This week Our Wednesday Word of Witness is from Samantha Ireland a member of the choir, she sends a video of her singing Ave Maria and accompanied by Mark Hazzard which will also be posted on the Cathedral Year of Faith blog where the object this week is the Hail Mary, click here for further information of about the video.

Samantha writes:
Singing has always had a place in my life from when I was a child singing hymns in assembly at school to choir at Senior school where I sang Faure's requiem for the first time and hassled my music teacher for the translation so I could begin to understand the meaning behind the music and truly sing with my heart. From this time I have held a great love of singing and from it a deeper understanding of my faith and its place in my life.
 The melodies in liturgical music reflect the time of year and range from the sailing high and joyous in tempo and style during Christmas time to the more melancholy and aching sounds heard during lent and good Friday leading to the great celebration of Easter where bells, trumpets, organ and voices raise in together in Joy at the risen Lord. For me it is the text where I and the composer both draw our inspiration, the words of prayer and devotion come together to create this peaceful ambiance for prayer and reflection in each individual.  The choir is where we join together in unity, in one voice to sing in praise to God, we all hold music in hearts and give thanks for the blessing of a musical life. It is through our singing  that we give service to God, and to all in our faithful community. It can be hard work, challenging and testing after a long days work and in a busy schedule of life in the 21st century, but it is here I find joy, peace and calm in my day and we work together to achieve so much especially at this time of year. At the end of each rehearsal and meeting we pray to St Cecilia that she may guide us and bless us in our duty's. St Cecilia the saint I chose for my confirmation name and for her guide me in my daily life.  Music and singing is a such a joyful pleasure for me. A great blessing from God for which I am truly thankful.


Remember

Lancaster Ladies Choir CD Adoramus Te £5 available after Mass and in the Cathedral shop